Friday 12 July 2019

Late Plant Update!

Assalamu Alaikum everyone!

It's Maryam here this week and I'd like to share with you this final update on my garden (until mid-September this year insha'Allah, when I'll hopefully give it another go).
This is what my garden looked like earlier this year. Currently only the Aloe Vera is left.
I have a post on my Tomatoes, Potatoes, and I've mentioned in an update that I did "harvest" some Beans, but never found the time to mention my Garlic plants (which I'll do at the end of this post, insha'Allah).
Unfortunately my Pea plants never really improved since the last update, and eventually died.

My Onions were also not growing well. They were green one week and limp the next, and later seemed to be improving but then didn't. Then one day I noticed they were browning at the bottom of the stem, near the soil, and that's when I decided to pull them both out, especially since they had never really looked as healthy as they did in my gardening books and in videos online.
My poor Chilli plants got infested with aphids! I don't use any pesticides or chemicals on my plants as they are very bad for you and the environment. We can't find Organic soil here yet but most of the seeds I planted were Organic, Alhamdulillah.
And finally my Garlic plants!
I planted them in late October. After 154 days, half the plants' leaves were brown and the rest green which meant it was time to harvest the garlic.
I let the soil dry for a few days and then gently pulled them out, and there were three little garlic bulbs! Again I was surprised and delighted at the same time!
I left them to dry outside for a day and then carefully brushed off the dirt and trimmed off the stems and roots.
We, my Mum and me, used them later that day in a curry.
Masha'Allah, gardening has definitely been great fun and I would love to do it again insha'Allah, but I'll probably try to grow a lot more next time, knowing now that the amount I tried to grow was not enough for seven people!
So, until then insha'Allah.


Love and wassalam,


Maryam





1 comment:

  1. Assalaamu alaikum.

    Sad that the plants died. I guess the garlic must have tasted good! I want to make garlic sauce. I like a certain type of sauce, and inshaa allaah one day I will make it!

    Maimoonah

    ReplyDelete